Proudly offering in-home care services in Tucson, Oro Valley, Green Valley, Sierra Vista, Catalina Foothills, Flowing Wells, Marana, San Manuel, Casas Adobes, Drexel Heights, Mammoth, Sahuarita, Vail, Tanque Verde, and all surrounding areas!
Home Safety Evaluation
For many seniors, remaining in their own homes for as long as possible is a top priority. However, the home might not always be a safe place, especially for individuals who struggle with balance, coordination, or poor vision. Placita In Home Care wants to help seniors throughout Pima County enjoy the comforts of their own homes as safely as possible. We invite you to schedule a free home safety evaluation for yourself or a loved one. This home safety assessment is available regardless of whether or not you choose to use our at-home caregiver services—your safety and wellbeing are our top priorities. During this service, we will review our home safety checklists to minimize potential hazards for your loved one.
Importance of Home Safety Evaluations
Home safety evaluations for older persons involve an in-depth assessment of the potential risks of a home environment, along with suggestions for making modifications to improve safety. If you’re an older adult, you can benefit from getting this comprehensive home evaluation, particularly if any of the following apply:
- You live alone
- You’ve recently been discharged from the hospital
- You’re at an increased risk of falls due to problems like dizziness, visual impairment, or balance issues
- You’re at an increased risk of severe fall-related injuries because of osteoporosis
- You’ve already fallen, regardless of whether or not injuries were sustained
- You’ve had one or more “close calls”
- Your loved ones have expressed concerns about your safety
Requesting a home safety evaluation from the experts at Placita In Home Care does not obligate you to sign up for a care plan. We only want you to be safe. We know all too well the risks of falls, which can cause devastating brain trauma, spinal injuries, hip fractures, and more. Among seniors, falls are a leading cause of hospitalization, entry into a nursing home, long-term disability, loss of independence, and even death. So, falls prevention is among our top priorities.
Identification of Common Hazards in the Home
Your home safety evaluation will begin with an exhaustive review of the potential hazards in and around your home. Some of the issues we often find on the exteriors of our clients’ homes include:
- Poor lighting in walking areas
- Rough or uneven walking surfaces
- Walkways that lack railings
- Outdoor furniture or clutter that obstructs walking paths
There are also lots of potential hazards inside the home. Here are just a few examples of what our expert home evaluators look for:
- Tripping hazards, such as throw rugs, clutter, and extension cords on the floor
- Stair hazards, including unstable or absent handrails, slippery surfaces, and poor lighting
- Seating hazards, such as a lack of sturdy armrests, low armrests, and inadequate support
- Bathroom hazards, including low toilet seats, a lack of grab bars, and slippery tubs
Suggestions for Home Modifications
Once we’ve conducted a thorough assessment of the potential hazards in your home, we’ll make customized recommendations for safety improvements. Some recommendations may be quickly done, such as relocating furniture. Others may require the assistance of a contractor, such as the installation of grab bars in the bathroom. We may also refer you to local service providers if you require care that goes beyond our at-home care services.